Saturday, July 2, 2011

July Wish



I was sitting outside watching fireworks light up the sky... so beautiful. So powerful. Just like my God... and my memories.

And as I sat thinking, a poem was birthed:

July Wish


Sometimes I wish upon a star

Wishing I could be where you are


If only to talk for awhile

And see your beautiful smile


Deep things are on my heart

Yet we are so far apart


My soul cries sometimes

And it only comes out in rhymes


I wish you were close by me here

Like a warm blanket wrapped near


Salty tears roll down my face

I simply wish for one more embrace


Fireworks light up the sky

This traditional Fourth of July


The bright color and sound

Makes the darkness flee all around


I wish the noise could change me

Jar me back to this present reality


But I’m lost remembering yesterday

It seems such a small price to pay


When I can see you in my mind’s eye

Every time those fireworks light up the sky


Traditions make me think of you

And that winter day that you flew


Away to a home much better than here

No more pain. No more fear


Did fireworks light up the sky that day?

In an eternal place far away?


There’s no question that you will always be missed

Every day that I continue to exist


And little by little my heart will heal

Because my wonderful Savior is real


So every year when the Fourth rolls around

I can smile… because I know where peace is found.





2 comments:

  1. Tears..."salty tears" are flowing here Em. The beauty of this poem has touched my heart so deeply. I know it is to your mom...and I almost feel like I am intruding when I read it.

    And yet the words spoken here are tender words I have felt in my heart and spoken from my own mouth so many times to my mom, sister, and granddaughter Anna, as well as other loved ones who have gone to heaven ahead of me..

    The loss of someone we love so very much evokes these kinds of feelings and yearnings. So real...so big...so strong...AND so natural! Of course we miss those that we loved so very much. It does hurt...and as you said we will always miss them as long as we continue to exist. I think I am drawn to you so much because I know what you have been through and I see how God has brought you through the pain...and I can relate to that. So can the Krafts.

    We do know peace...because our Savior is near! And that is such a blessing...HE is such a blessing.

    And YOU are such a blessing to me. A young woman with such depth! My Abigail is much like you.

    I would love to see you some day. Perhaps when Abigail comes to stay for a few days we could get together?

    Love, Grandma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet poem, Emily :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...