Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Familiar Voice?

My Max Lucado devotional yesterday really got me thinking. He was talking about how, one day, we will all hear Jesus' voice. Now, I have thought about this many times before...but then he asked a new question, one which I have never really taken the time to ponder...when you hear his voice on the last day, will it be a familiar voice? Will it be a voice that you have come to know and love? Will it be the voice that has comforted you in the darkest days of your life? Will you recognize it?

Often times I spend way too much time doing things for God when he calls me to simply be still and know that He is God. My quiet times should be...just that. Quiet! Only in the stillness can we hear his voice; only when we take a moment to be still, do we truly come to recognize the loving words of our Savior.

Do I recognize His voice when I hear him calling me? Do I know and love that gentle touch of his spirit that so fills me with joy? Am I ever willing to answer His quietest call?

If I can grow to recognize His loving voice, how exciting life becomes! When I call Jesus my friend, I want to truly mean it! You have a hard time being a friend to an inanimate object. True friendship goes both ways... giving and taking in love.

We often only love the things that we know. I love my sister and brother because I have spent so much time with them. I love my dog because she has been in my life for so many years. I love my closest girlfriends because we have developed bonds through heart to heart talks. So how can I say that I truly love Jesus, if I do not have a personal relationship with Him in order to know Him?

My prayer today is that I would not ignore my Heavenly Fathers loving voice, but would learn to recognize it in such a way that it will be familiar and dear to me on that last day.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, It is so true that we need to be still and hear the voice of God speaking to our hearts.

    I haven't given much thought to what his audible voice will sound like, until you made me think about it with your blog post.

    Won't it be wonderful to hear it? I imagine it will be beautiful, and soothing, and encouraging and loving,...much like an adoring parent as he speaks to his child.

    It is exciting to think about it.
    Thanks for this devotional thought, that brought me into His presence today as I read this.

    Longing to Hear Him!
    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true that Christ not only desires that we give all that we have and all that we are to Him, but that we would also receive Him, His grace, and His words in return. What true friendship! And what a wonderful life.

    I pray that I might truly hear his voice resounding in my life, everyday. I surely would be lost without it!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...